Federal Skilled Trade Class
Federal Skilled Trade Class (FSTC) is the least common program within Express Entry, designed for professionals with experience in trade occupations. FSTC has the lowest threshold for English or French language requirements, in comparison to FSWC and CEC. ITAs specifically targeted for FSTC candidates are issued on average, twice a year. During the FSTC specific draws, only very small number of profiles were invited to apply with the minimum required CRS points for an ITA being low.
To be eligible and register an Express Entry profile under FSTC, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Language Proficiency: Minimum CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) score of 4 in Writing and Reading and CLB score of 5 in Speaking and Listening of English or French exam
- Work Experience: At least two years of full-time work experience in the last 5 years, in a skilled trade occupation
- Have a valid job offer OR a trade certificate of qualification in the skilled trade issued by the provincial or territorial authority in Canada
- Employment Requirements in the Trade Occupation: Meet all job requirements specified in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) of the skilled trade occupation, except for a trade certificate of qualification
- Plans to live outside of Quebec
Recognized Skilled Trades in Canada
Eligible trade occupations classified within the following major and minor groups of NOC
- Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
- Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
- Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
- Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
- Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
- Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers
If trade certificate of qualification is a requirement (i.e. does not have a valid job offer) then you must be assessed by the trade governing body of the province of your destination. It is possible that each provincial or territorial trade governing body has different trade regulation policies for a same trade occupation.
Meeting the above complicated requirement does not guarantee an Invitation to Apply (ITA) or permanent residence visa. Candidates must score competitive CRS points within Express Entry system to earn an ITA and permanent residence visa later on.